Custom checkout fields allow you to request as much information from your customers on the online checkout, to obtain all the information you need to make fulfilling their order as smooth as possible.
The following article will guide you through how to create and assign custom fields to your online checkout, to be filled out by your customers for every booking placed on your rental website.
How it works
The Booqable online checkout already supplies default information fields for the customer to fill out; such as name, phone number, email, and address.
However, you may wish to collect even more information from the customer about their rental order such as delivery instructions, secondary contact numbers, insurance numbers, drivers license number, additional information about the reservation, and so on.
You can follow the steps below to learn how to create custom checkout fields for your rental website to collect as much information from the customer as your rental business needs.
1. Add a custom field
First, you will need to add at least one custom field into your Booqable account, including the configuration of all its display settings, before you can add it to your website's online checkout.
1. Go to Settings > Custom fields.
2. Click either Add a new order field, or Add a new customer field.
3. In Custom field label, give your field a name.
4. Optionally, edit the Custom field variable. This field is the code you place in your email templates, if you wish to include the information for your customers.
5. Select the data type. You can choose between single-line text, a Drop-down menu, Date fields and even more Data types for the customer to input their information.
6. In Display on, choose which documents you wish this custom field to appear on. For checkout fields that customers fill out, it may be useful to include this in the packing slip to assist your delivery drivers.
7. Hit Save, and proceed to the next step!
2. Map this custom field to the online checkout
Go to Settings > Online Reservations> Checkout.
In the Checkout fields section, click New checkout field.
Give your field a name (label). The name you use in the checkout can be different than the name you use internally ("Where did you hear about us" for a referral field, for example).
Select your newly created custom field from the drop-down menu.
Optionally, tick the checkbox if you wish this field to be Required to complete the checkout. This means the customer cannot place the order unless they fill out this field.
6. Hit Save, and you're done!
Now, these fields will appear on your online checkout to be filled out by the customer, and the information they include will automatically appear in the information section of the order, and that specific customer's profile in your Booqable account.
You're all set!
You have now successfully learned how to create custom fields for the online checkout of your rental website, through Booqable.