Credit card holds temporarily block available funds on the credit card; you don't actually take the money until you capture (charge) the authorization. This makes them ideal for use with security deposits.
For example: at pick up, you authorize the total of both the order- and the deposit amount. When you get your items back in good shape, you charge for the order only.
Note: Authorizations must be captured (charged) within seven days.
To authorize a credit card hold:
- Add a payment and choose Credit card as a payment method.
- Fill in the amount you want to hold and the credit card information.
- Set the toggle switch to Authorize.
- Click Authorize.
To capture an earlier authorization hold:
- Choose Credit card as a payment method.
- In the popup, select the hold from which you wish to capture.
- Fill in the amount you want to charge.
- Click Charge.
Note: Each authorization may be captured only once. If you capture less than the authorization amount, you cannot capture the remainder at a later stage.
To release an authorization hold:
Authorization holds can be released manually from your Stripe dashboard.