If you want to get started with using barcodes on your products, but don't know where to get started, Booqable has exactly what you need.
This article will guide you through how you can create new and adjustable barcodes for all your rental products, with one quick and easy tool.
How it works
1. Create barcodes for stock items, in one quick step
You can generate barcodes for everyone of your product stock items in one step, on the Products page in Booqable.
1. Click into the Products page, and select the checkbox next to each product you wish to create a barcode for (click the top checkbox to select all at once).
2. Select the Actions drop down menu at the top of the screen, and select Generate barcodes.
3. In the pop-up that will appear, select the option that applies to you.
4. For Type, you can choose the type of barcode you wish to create.
5. Now, when you click into a product and select the Inventory tab, you should see the barcode symbol on the right hand side has been highlighted blue on each stock item.
6. Click on it to view and adjust the new barcode that has been created for this individual stock item. Scroll down to chapter 6 to see how to print barcodes like these to attach them to your products.
2. Create barcodes for stock items, one-by-one
Instead of creating your barcodes in bulk as outlined in the step above, you can create barcodes for specific products (both trackable and bulk), and their stock items, one-by-one.
On the Products page, select a product.
Click the Inventory panel to view your stock items.
From the right sidebar of the stock item line, click the barcode symbol to add a barcode.
In the pop-up that appears, select a barcode type (we suggest a QR code), and leave the field blank to automatically generate a barcode.
Click Save, and the barcode symbol on the stock item line should now appear highlighted blue. Click on it to view your newly created barcode.
3. Create barcodes for customers
You can create barcodes for your individual customers to add to a personalized customer card (for example), so you can quickly add a customer to an order without the need to search for their name.
Go to Customers, and select a customer.
From the right sidebar, click Add barcode.
Select a barcode type (we suggest QR codes), and leave the field blank to automatically generate a barcode.
4. Export your barcodes
This chapter will outline how you can export your barcodes in one step from your Booqable account to prepare them for printing, and being attached to your rental products.
1. In the Products page, you will see the option to Export your product information on the right hand side of the screen.
2. Select Export, and the data will automatically begin its download in an CSV spreadsheet form in your Downloads folder.
3. Open this file, and scroll across until you see the Barcodes column, where the barcode URL of each stock item will appear listed amongst the other columns of product information. To make this easier, delete all other columns other than the product name and barcode columns, so they are the only columns that appear for printing.
5. Printing your barcodes
For printing your barcodes, in order to attach them to your rental products, you can do this in two different ways:
Follow our guide to utilizing asset labelling software Dymo labelling software.
This involves uploading your exported file into a software like Dymo, and following the steps to convert and customize your barcode URLs to printable barcode images to fit each of your product types.
Pay to have your barcodes printed professionally at a local printing company.
This involves taking your CSV file in digital form to a professional printing company in order to have each code converted to a scannable image, and printed. You can find stores in your local area, or online.
6. Attaching your barcodes
Once you have effectively printed your barcodes, it is time to stick them to each of your products!
You're all set!
You have now successfully learned how to generate barcodes with Booqable.