When setting up your Booqable account, creating products the right way can save you and your team a lot of time and confusion when managing your inventory.
This article will guide you through everything you need to know about effectively creating and managing your products, through the Booqable Rental Software.
How it works
Every product in Booqable falls under either one of two tracking methods; trackable items, or bulk items.
Trackable items allow you to track items individually, by using a unique product identifier for each stock item of a product.
Bulk items only track a product's quantity, without separating each stock item via a number or code.
1. Choosing a tracking method
Choosing the correct tracking method will save you time in the order checkout, and prevent loss of valuable items within your store.
1. Click Inventory and click Add a new product.
2. Enter the product name as you want your customers to see it, and upload an image (or use Booqable's image search).
3. Now, choose the tracking method for this product.
4. Choose the pricing method you want to use for this product. If you need a more advanced pricing method like tiered structures or discounts over certain dates, you can set this up in the next page.
5. If you wish to create different colours and sizes of this product for the customer to select from the online store, you can enable variations. You can read all about how to enable and set up variations, and variation stock items, through the link below.
2. Add this product's stock items
After you create a product, you'll see the inventory screen. This screen displays two different sections: Current stock and Expected stock.
Current stock are the items that are currently, and will be, in your inventory indefinitely (until you remove or archive them). They are the default stock type for newly created products in Booqable.
Expected stock are the stock items that you expect to own in the future. You can choose the date from which these items will be made available in your inventory for reservation (great if you purchase more stock for future orders).
Temporary stock are the items that will be part of your inventory for a temporary, predefined date-range. Booqable automatically adds and removes stock based on the available from and available until dates you enter (perfect for sub-rentals).
1. Click Add stock items.
2. Under Quantity, enter the desired number of stock items you wish to add.
3. Under Add to location, select the location you wish to add stock to. This will only appear if you have previously set up different store or warehouse locations in your account settings.
5. Click the arrow next to Advanced settings.
6. Choose the available from and available until dates from the calendar that will appear to create expected or temporary stock. Don't select dates to add Current stock items.
7. Adjust the Identifier format to match the product codes you wish all of this product's stock items to begin with.
8. Click Add stock items.
9. To remove stock, click the Archive button at the end of the row, which decommissions the stock item.
10. If you need to separate your stock items further, you can click the blue + Add column button on the right hand side of the screen.
11. If you need to adjust your product Identifier codes further, you can press the pencil icon on the right hand side of the stock item.
3. Adding and removing bulk items
For bulk products, you don't track individual stock items. You only define a product's quantities. You can see how many you have available or out with customers in real-time.
On the Inventory screen, under Current stock, click the Plus-minus button next to each location this product holds stock, to add the quantity of stock you currently have of this item.
5. How to duplicate products
You can now duplicate products in your Products page to quickly add a similar product to your inventory, without having to repeat all the steps outlined so far in this article.
Click on the product that you would like to duplicate.
Click on the Duplicate product button in the top right hand corner of the page.
Type in the product name, product description, and select an image for the new product. You can also choose which settings will be duplicated from the initial product.
Click on the Duplicate button.
6. Deleting products
In most cases, you'll want to archive stock items instead of removing products entirely. If you do want to delete a product, follow the below instructions.
Click on the product you wish to delete.
Click the Settings tab.
Click Delete product at the bottom of the page.
1. Skip scrolling through stock item identifiers at checkout time, and scan product barcodes instead
Booqable's barcode feature is our popular all-in-one system; incorporating a barcode generator, a barcode importer, and a built-in barcode scanner as part of the Booqable Mobile App.
It can help you:
You can save powerful amounts of time while checking equipment in and out, as you can assign items to an order in one scan rather than trying to type out complicated product identifier codes (stock item numbers).
You avoid the loss of precious stock, as you no longer risk assigning the wrong stock items to an order. Barcodes prevent you from handing out the wrong items on the wrong order.
Follow our guide to getting started with product barcodes to learn how.
2. Accept as many orders as you can, by allowing product shortages
For each product, you can allow shortages. This setting allows you to reserve more items than you have available, which is handy if you know you can get your hands on items for sub-hire if you have a popular day of orders within your store.
Read our article on adjusting product settings to learn how to allow product shortages in Booqable.
You're all set!
You have now successfully learnt how to create and manage products in Booqable Rental Software.